Happy New Year! Instead of listing New Year’s resolutions, because I’m sure you’re up to your ears in them… let’s jump right into some real talk, k? I’m all about learning to be vulnerable in 2019.
To be honest, I spent a lot of 2018 racking my brain on how to be more real and raw with you, and what my angle would be. With “authenticity” as THE buzz word of 2018, it really made me question if everything I was sharing with you was 100% authentically ME.
The truth? It was, and is, but it doesn’t begin to scratch the surface of who I really am. I’ve been fortunate enough to live a pretty damn charmed life, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t dealt with my share of tough situations — especially when it comes to my career, and my love life.
Let me rewind a bit for those of you that don’t know my background. I come from a professional world where for the past 12 YEARS I’ve been taught to bury my emotions, keep it professional, work 24/7, forget about self-care, and be the voice of corporate companies. But too much work, and too little time for play left me a dull girl. Truly.
I take full responsibility, and am not blaming my past jobs, but these workaholic tendencies at one time were crucial to my success in the industry. The bad habits have been hard to break. I’ve struggled with feeling ok with more of a work-life balance, as I slowly cut back on my hours at my day job from full-time, to nonexistent (WOOHOO!). In 2018 I made it a point to try to practice more self-care; give myself time to wander, work smarter not harder, and stop being so hard on myself.
My goal for 2019 is to push myself to break these habits. My focus is learning to be more vulnerable with YOU in 2019. I don’t have it all figured out, but it’s my hope that by sharing more of my struggles with you, they’ll transform into takeaways that can help you in some way. Hopefully you’ll feel comfortable enough to share your experiences with me here, and we can learn from each other. I truly want to grow our connection and this community in 2019. So here I am, unrolling it all, at what feels like the beginning of my story.
Here’s a few facts about me for those of you that are new to my blog:
1. I’m 35 (whoop!) and newly engaged. I feel 28 at heart. Wedding planning has just begun, and we have about 10 months to go…more on that soon!
2. I moved from Southern California to NYC in 2016 with my now fiancé Scott (who is also my photographer, videographer, and business partner) to pursue our dreams, and we’ve never looked back.
3. Literally all of my friends in California have multiple children. Scott and I want kids, but NOT ANYTIME SOON.
4. I worked in fashion/beauty PR & social media marketing for 8 years before starting this blog and @HauteHouseFlower in 2014 as a side-hustle.
5. I kept working in PR for another 4 years, and just started (FINALLY!) blogging full-time 2 months ago.
6. I’ve had generalized anxiety my whole life. I’m also Type-A and love to make lists to help manage my thoughts.
7. I’ve had a lifelong obsession with all things fashion, jewelry, beauty and skincare. Beyond playing dress up, and my love for this industry, I’m fascinated by the science of beauty (science NERD), and the wellness benefits that feeling beautiful, or loving your outfit can have on your mental state.
8. I love all things French, and even interned at CHANEL when I was in college. (it changed my life!)
9. I dated someone for 8.5 years before getting dumped the month we were supposed to get engaged.
10. I’m a TOTAL dog mom (we have a rescue maltipoo and a cockapoo!) and care so deeply about rescue animals.
11. I went to the University of Arizona and was a Kappa Kappa Gamma there. (go cats!)
COMMENT TO WIN
That’s it for now! Just a little get-to-know me, and an invitation for you to share 3 facts about you below, any questions you might have for me, or if you just liked this post and why. I’ll send the first three people to comment below a surprise beauty package with some of my favorite products. I’ll announce winners on my IG stories, so be sure you’re also following me there.
Expect more posts like this on a regular basis (in addition to my normal posts). Feel free to let me know if there’s any topic you’d like me to talk about…let’s get into it!
Cheers to a more authentic year, it’s gonna be a wild one. 2019, LET’S DO THIS!